Friday, March 25, 2011

Reading

I like to read, but don't really do it much.  I read really REALLY slowly, and my eyes get tired reading.  When I've finished a day of work, reading sounds like a tiresome activity, so I have many books on the shelves that I want to read, but haven't.

Occasionally, though, I find a book (or more commonly, series of books) that really captures my attention, and I read it as fast as possible. - I should note that "as fast as possible" isn't very fast at all.  The last book series I read was 3 short books.  Each book took me 2-3 days reading 2-4 hours in each sitting.  John read the whole series after I finished it; it took him about 5 hours.

Anywho, most of the time, my interest is peaked by fantasy books... often times, books that are geared toward adolescents.  I'm not sure what that says about me.  I like realistic stories and books written for adults too, but in recent years, the only books that I've gotten myself immersed in are fantasy, and most of those are written for "young adults."

For example, in the last few years, these are the books that have deeply peaked my interest (again, not the only books I've read, but the ones I've been most "into"):
  • The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
  • The Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher

My newest read is thanks to a recommendation via Facebook from my high school English teacher: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott.  (Having only known of one other Michael Scott... I giggle a little at the author's name, thinking of Michael Scott from The Office writing these books, but they're far too interesting to come from the TV character)

The books are certainly written for a younger audience.  I find myself repeatedly telling the book "I get it.  You told me that detail 10 pages ago," but I know he's just trying make sure to not confuse the young audience while setting up the suspension of disbelief.

Despite the simpler writing style, I'm enjoying the new fantasy world.  I just finished book 1, and I got the 2nd and 3rd books at Half Price this week.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment