Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sandals, Salad, and top it off with Key Lime Pie

Honeymoon Day 5 - Friday, May 6, 2011 - Cane Garden Bay, Tortola

We woke mid-morning on Friday and went out to the beach to take a swim. Clouds were covering the sun though, making the water a little chilly.  Instead of swimming, we just walked the beach and sat out on the chairs in front of Myett's.  Eventually, we went back to the cottage to read, but not long after we got to the cottage, the sun peeked out from the clouds.

We went back out to swim and enjoyed the slightly chilly water. After that, we showered, napped, and ate sandwiches at the cottage, followed by some ice cream for desert. We relaxed and read for a while, and then we decided to go check out the internet (available from the bar at Myett's), and I brought my phone with us to the beach to take pictures.

One side of the beach.  The cottages are a few second walk from the beach (maybe 25 yards behind the tree line), pretty much directly behind the farthest stack of chairs you can see in this picture.
The other side of the beach.  Myett's hotel and restaurant is the closet building in this picture.  We could use the chairs at Myett's for free, so when we would just sit out, this is typically where we did it.

Note that in all these pictures (taken in mid-afternoon on Friday), you see very few people and only 5 or 6 boats anchored in the bay.  This is how it was most of the time.  It felt like a secret get-away.  I love going to places in off-season.  (The only drawback to the off-season thing is that a highly rated restaurant on one end of the beach was closed, we supposed because the owners were on vacation for the first week of off-season)


Imprints from the novelty flip-flops my bridesmaids gave me at my bachelorette party

This time out on the beach was the only time I wore those flip flops because the rubber makes my feet sore, but John spent the whole time walking in my footsteps behind me to wipe out cutesy imprints they left.  It made me smile to see that he missed a few when we were back on the beach at dinner time.

We took a nap before heading back to the beach for dinner. This time we ate at Rhymer's on the Beach.  I had Mahi Mahi and John had King Fish, but the real story from this meal was what I ate before the Mahi Mahi: Salad.  Anyone who's been out to eat with me knows that I eat very few vegetables, and I never get salad.  We didn't notice that the meals at Rhymer's come with salad and, it being off-season, we were the only people in the restaurant.  When they brought out the salad, it just seemed really rude, not to eat it. I was in the middle of wagering with John to get him to eat some of mine and some of his, but he suggested that I try just dousing mine in the French dressing on the table. I had never had French dressing, but I now know I really like it... With French dressing's help, I actually ate half the salad, and the crazy thing is, I didn't hate it... I didn't much like it either, but it was tolerable.  :-)  We topped off our meal with a slice of Key Lime pie.

After dinner, it was back to the cottage to close out another wonderful day with reading in the dinning area and a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment