Thursday, November 24, 2011

I'm Thankful for...

It seems a bit cliche to write a thanks list on Thanksgiving Day, but it's a good cliche, I think.  I feel very blessed in my life and I think it's important not to lose sight of the many things there are to be thankful for.

So here I go; I'm thankful for:
  • 26 (almost) years of good health
  • Loving parents that encouraged me to be the best that I could be
  • A solid faith community that not only taught me about God conceptually but also showed the love of Christ in their daily lives.
  • A school system that allowed me to cultivate a love of the arts, gave me an opportunity to experience the classics, and challenged me to grow while giving me the educational foundation to build upon the rest of my life.
  • A brother who knows and loves me deeply, and who, despite some sibling rivalry growing up, I cherish as my childhood companion.
  • Sisters who welcomed me just as I am into the fold of Alpha Delta Pi.
  • A culture where, as a woman, I am encouraged to go far in my career without giving up who I am as a woman.
  • Baylor University, of which I have many fond memories.
  • A great young career where I am both challenged and respected for my contributions
  • My extended family that I love dearly... and all of their beautiful children (my brother and I are the only cousins who have yet to add little munchkins to group)
  • The many friends and family who supported, encouraged, attended, and/or thought of us from a far during our wedding this year.
  • The ability to own our own home despite economic turmoil around the world.
  • Many close friends that join us for basketball games, Hot Springs trips, tailgating, poker nights, and any other general merriment.
  • The best in-laws one could hope for.  I look forward to many new memories I'll make with the Hansen family.
  • A great Thanksgiving dinner... and Chocolate Pie!
And I cannot summarize in short bullet the many ways that I'm thankful for the man who changed my name this year... he is my rock and my right hand.  I often joke that he must be psychic because he knows what I'm thinking before I say it.  When I was young, I often dreamed about getting married, but I never imagined how much I would love the man I married or how much fun it would be.  So, I am thankful for Mr. John Hansen, my husband (still not tired of saying that... "my husband"... he's my husband... sorry everybody else, he's taken).

I am truly blessed, and I cannot say thanks enough to "deserve" any of it... Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and I'm glad to take a moment to be thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

No comments:

Post a Comment