Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Homecoming

I love Baylor University.  It makes me giddy just to be on campus.  I have many fond memories of my time there, including many great people I met and the first few months of dating the man that is now my husband.

Last weekend, we had the pleasure of returning to Baylor for Homecoming.  John and I rolled into Waco around 6pm Friday and took a stroll around campus.  We met up with friends for dinner in the sub and spent some time taking in the pre-bonfire festivities.  Before the bonfire was lit, we came across several other friends... we enjoyed getting to see everyone, but ironically, most of the people we found on Friday night live near us in Dallas and we see more frequently than just at Baylor Homecoming.

Saturday morning, we were up bright and early at the Alpha Delta Pi tent along the parade.  Poor John got abandoned with another ADPi husband, and I had a blast catching up with many of my wonderful sisters! 

The ADPi float was the Mad Hatter Tea Party. Each of the 10 schools currently in the Big 12 was represented by a chair.

The Baylor chair was, of course, at the head of the table... and the A&M chair was appropriately placed.
After the parade, we had about 7 hours to kill before the football game, so we took in a few Waco favorites:
  • A visit to the Alpha Delta Pi chapter room - I had a great time talking with some alumnae who were ADPi's before I was born and hearing about their experience in the sorority.
  • Lunch at Fazoli's - Yes, I know it's fast food, but the Waco Fazoli's is still the closest location to my house even though we now live in Lewisville.  We don't have much of a fast-food Italian option in the Dallas area. :)
  • Drive around Cameron Park
  • Cameron Park Zoo - We went with some friends and their 7 month old daughter - who fell asleep somewhere between the lions and the reptiles.
The Homecoming game was a nice experience.  I was a student at Baylor for the 2004-2007 football seasons, during which Baylor football resulted in the following:
  • 2004: 3-8 record on the year, including a 26-25 Loss to Iowa State for Homecoming
  • 2005: 5-6 record on the year, including a 28-0 Loss to Texas Tech for Homecoming
  • 2006: 4-8 record on the year, including a 36-35 Win over Kansas for Homecoming
  • 2007: 3-9 record on the year, including a 38-7 Loss to Texas Tech for Homecoming 
That brings the overall record while I was in school to 15 wins and 31 losses, no winning seasons, and only 1, very close, Homecoming win.  Anytime I can go to a Baylor game and see a win is a good game in my opinion, but a homecoming win is all the sweeter. (It was a 42-39 Win over Missouri, bringing Baylor to 5-3 so far for 2011)
John modeling the give-away foam helmet at the game.
To all the friends I saw: It was great to see you!
To anyone who was there and I missed: Boo!  We need to coordinate next year!
To Kristen and Nick: Thanks for being our homecoming buddies again!  We had a great time... also, Clare was definitely the cutest little Baylor fan and ADPi legacy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment